Saturday, June 18, 2016

Day 14: Climbing DOWN a Mountain

Provo to Price, UT
Miles:  75   Climb:  3,930
Total Miles:  990

Legs were back today.  And it's a good thing.

In less than 10 miles from the hotel we got hit by a strong head wind.  At the junction of three mountains there was a wind farm, because (duh) there is a lot of wind. We rode at less than 8 mph. Just as we got away from the wind, we started a 20 mile climb.



The climb was long and gradual.  At the first (and only) SAG stop after 11 miles of uphill grinding, there were still nine miles of steeper climbing to reach Soldier Summit.  The ABB staff warned that the grade increased as we reached the summit and then the descent was long and challenging.  They warned repeatedly for us to be careful on the fast descent. So when we reached Soldier Summit (7447 ft) there was a small celebration because we knew the next 30 miles would be a coast to the finish.

I rode with Liz, my friend from England, on the climb.  Then at the Summit she joined her husband for the descent and I held back to ride the descent alone.  Bad decision.  As I started down the other side of the pass, I was hit by the strongest headwind yet.  I had to shift to low gear and pedal to move. Getting down the mountain was harder than getting up.  I had to get on my small chainring and push to make the descent.  And I had urged my only potential drafting partners for the day to go on without me.  So I rode it alone.  I climbed DOWN the mountain at a slower speed than I had climbed up the mountain. The wind was awful, the temperature was nearly 100 degrees, the truck traffic was heavy, and the shoulder was rough.

But, again, the scenery was fantastic.  On the climb up to the summit the mountains were green and beautiful.  We saw herds of sheep on the mountainside.  Then on the way down the mountains were sheer rock in amazing formations.  Between the ride and the scenery, this is a day I will always remember.

Tomorrow we ride 67 miles and don't have a lot of climbing.  Weather forecast is 103 degrees with wind out of the southeast.














2 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, NEVER heard, let alone experienced peddling harder going down hill than up. What a strange situation that must have been, especially after staff told you it would be fast. Once you get through a challenging experience, it seems to have a more memorable place in our memories. I totally get how today will last a long time. Sleep well, you've earned it my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- I never would have thought going down could be that tough...you're amazing....inspiring.

    ReplyDelete