Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 5: Made it to Nevada

Truckee, CA to Sparks, NV
Miles:  68   Climb:  4,052 ft

This was the best day, yet.  We got on a great bike trail at the Squaw Valley Ski Resort, the site of the Winter Olympics, and rode 25 miles along a beautiful mountain stream to Tahoe Village on Lake Tahoe.  The scenery was magnificent.  After a traditional America By Bicycle stop at a little bakery in Tahoe and photos by the lake, the climbing began; we climbed over 8 miles at more than a 6 percent grade.   When we climb, riders get spread quite far apart, so most of the climbing I rode alone (except for the two guys I passed :-) )while again singing to maintain a steady cadence.  Row, Row, Row Your Boat is now my official trip anthem.  The climb was over Mt. Rose with views of Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevadas in the background.  Lake Tahoe is the largest alpine lake in North America.

The summit was windy and cold, so even though there was a SAG stop, I didn't hang around at the top. I launched into the harrowing 16.7 mile descent.  Being a Midwest girl, I haven't had much training in descending mountains, so for the last few evenings I've been watching You Tube videos on how to safely descend a mountain.  While I can't yet say I am good at it, I can say I am improving.  I hit 39 miles per hour today, which is a personal best!

Tomorrow is a big mileage day.  92 miles and more than 3000 feet of climbing.  Forecast is for great weather and I'm hoping for a strong tailwind.

Two riders were unable to ride today.  One due to altitude sickness and the other saddle sores.  So far I have escaped both.



6 comments:

  1. So enjoying seeing the country via your Tour-de-Force!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful Laura. What a kick ass ride. Thanks again for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great posts laura. Thanks so much. I never thought that anyone would need to ride on the interstate! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great posts laura. Thanks so much. I never thought that anyone would need to ride on the interstate! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete