Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Day 3: Heading for the Mountains

Sacramento to Auburn
Miles: 53. Climb: 2,380

Beautiful weather again today.  We rode a paved bike trail that went along the American River for 35 miles.  It was beautiful and the best bike trail I've ever been on.  Our SAG stop was at Folsom Lake, near the town of Folsom. I learned that  Folsom was the end of the Pony Express Route and that the Pony Express existed for only two years.  Folsom is also the home of Folsom Prison, which seemed to be of great interest to many of the riders, especially the Europeans, thanks to Johnny Cash.

We are staying in "business class" hotels such as Best Western and Holiday Inn Express.
For breakfast we eat the continental breakfast the hotels offer.
We typically have two SAG (support and gear) stops a day for food on the road and to refill water bottles.  Dinner has been at restaurants near the hotel.  I already miss Rex's cooking.

We have breakfast around 6:00, load the van at 7:30, and head out.  We don't ride in one big group.  Several small groups are forming, based mostly on cycling speed, but also a bit on what the participants want from the experience.  Some riders (the serious road bikers) what to go as fast as they can to complete the route.  Others like to stop for photos and even some sight seeing.  The tour group accommodates both.  Riders go at their own pace.  If you wanted, you could ride the entire trip alone.

When we get to the hotel we typically clean our bikes and then have free time for the pool, napping, doing laundry, or sightseeing in the towns we are in.  Around 5:15 we have "Map Rap" when we go over the next day' route, then dinner.  This trip is pure luxury for me.  Someone else does the planning, makes the reservations, prepares the food, maintains the bikes, and sets the route.  All I have to do is ride.

We are heading into the Sierra Nevada mountains tomorrow.  We will cross Donner's pass tomorrow and Rose Mountain on Thursday.  Hard days of riding ahead.  Tomorrow will definitely be a test of my mental strength and my ability to overcome my fear of heights.  The  descent from Donner's Pass sounds pretty hairy.

8 comments:

  1. I'm loving this blog. Don't you dare skip a day. What speed to you usually ride at on flats? Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Laura for not commenting yesterday, my computer was down. Just like you, we also were involved in Presidential politics. Thanks for filling out what your day consists of. I remember the first time I crossed Donner Pass. It was back in 1968 in the middle of winter and they wouldn't let you pass unless you had snow chains. Luckily that won't be an issue for you tomorrow. As always, I think you will do just fine on both the ascents as well as the descents. In fact, I predict that you will have moments when you relax take a breath and actually enjoy the downhill ride. Have fun tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very proud of you Laura...I admire your pursuit of your journey. I am looking forward to you sharing your thoughts and feelings everyday of your travels. Be safe....have fun!��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so you know I read your blog every morning with my coffee. It's better than any newspaper I have ever read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful blog about your adventure. I have ridden the American River bike path multiple times. I agree that it is one of the best paths I have ever encountered. You will do well in the mountains today. Your strength of mind and body will let you accomplish everything you expect to do. Enjoy some beautiful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura

    It sounds like you are really enjoying your trip, and that you have met some interesting people. I can relate to the fear of heights, but with the support of others around you, and I am sure you will do fine. Thanks for writing everyday, and letting us experience this trip vicariously through you (without the hard work, lol).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are inspiring. I whine about mounds and you are climbing mountains. I am sharing this link widely and I look forward to reading your blog each day. Enjoy the climb up and the breezes going down.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto about appreciation of your blog and all the details.

    ReplyDelete