Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 10: Ups and Downs

Elko to Wendover, NV
Miles:  108   Climb:  3350
Total Miles:  735

Today was a long, roller coaster type of day.  We rode 108 miles and 100 of it was on Interstate 80.  Several flats today, which slowed us down.  We rode through several construction zones, which also slowed our pace.  One rider had a serious accident and is now in the hospital in Elko with broken ribs and collar bone and horrible road rash.  Needless to say, his accident had a very sobering effect on our ride.

The weather was perfect and the scenery was spectacular.  We had a very long climb at mile 70 to reach Pequoe Summit, followed by an unbelievably long descent.  It was an incredible experience.  We rode three passes today.  The foliage is very different now and the mountains are snow capped.  At one spot a coyote ran along the side of the road with us.  At mile 100 another climb was ahead before we could finish the ride.  The view at the summit was breath taking.  Salt flats stretched as far as we could see and it looked like fields of snow.  Amazing.

I've developed a routine that I follow almost every day when the ride ends.  As soon as I get to the hotel I take off my bike shoes.  The bike shorts are next to go. I immediately fix a recovery drink for rebuilding muscles.  And then I clean my bike, wiping all the road dirt off the chain, components and the frame.  It is very important to keep the bike clean to keep it working properly.  Today, there were bits of asphalt stuck on my beautiful white frame.  It took close to an hour to get it off.  It sure wasn't the way I had planned to celebrate the first century ride of the trip.

We are in West Wendover, which is on the state line between Nevada and Utah.  We are still on the Nevada side.  Tomorrow we leave Nevada and ride 120 miles to get to Salt Lake City.  It will be a windy ride across the salt flats.  I'm hoping for tail wind.

I know the Ann Arbor cycling community is having a ride of silence tomorrow in honor of the people involved in the Kalamazoo tragedy.   I will be riding with you in spirit.







16 comments:

  1. Awesome job out there, checking on your progress every day !
    Bike cleaning and maintenance every day will pay off big on a trip of this magnitude !
    scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Discipline, courage, strength, tenacity, and an ability to find the positive in each day - you continue to soar through this trip, impressing all of us who are cheering you on with every mile. You go, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading this every morning.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you thoughts of strong tires and strong minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very impressed that you have the strength and courage to bike that many miles! You go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read the reference to bike cleaning at the end of the ride, the first words I thought were that "Scott would be proud of you". So when I looked at the comments section, you guessed it, there was a comment from Scott. I do it too and so does my son. So Laura, how long do you think it will take before the other members of your group follow suite? Sorry to hear about your falling comrades. Hope they are okay. This ride, as probably all rides are not without potential consequences. So keep going strong. You are the Energizer Bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so impressed. I look forward daily to reading your posts. I wish you a great ride to Salt Lake City. May the wind be at your back and the road be flat and debris free. Stay strong. You got this.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog Laura, and enjoyed catching up on your ride. Sounds like you're having the time of your life! Can't wait to follow along on the rest of your adventure. Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Laura! You are one amazing woman and an inspiration to many. I love reading about your journey each day. Stay strong and I can't wait to hear about tomorrow's ride. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping for a tailwind tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura!! This is so awesome!! Congratulations on how far you've come and I'm so excited for what's to come! - Hannah's Wisconsin friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tosha! You have a bicycle tat that she is in love with...you and her also drank Nantucket out of their wine supply...she remembers you :)

      Delete
  13. You got this Laura! I'm incredibly impressed by your strength and here's to a beautiful ride today!

    ReplyDelete