Monday, June 13, 2016

Day 9: It Can't Get Better Than This

Battle Mountain to Elko, NV
Miles:  74. Climb:  2,500
Total Miles:  627

What a fantastic day.  Our first 28 miles were on Mule Shoe Road.  Need I say more?  The scenery was more green than yesterday,  brown mountains still but with velvety green covering at lower elevations.  Beautiful.  At mile 28 we got onto I 80 for a 10 mile climb to Emigrant Pass.  There were rumble strips stretching across the shoulder to the rumble strips by the white line.  So nowhere for a bicycle to go except over rumble strips, and every rumble strip felt like it was trying to stop us from reaching the top.  The climb was beautiful and it was followed  a 6 mile descent.  On the descent there were gusting crosswinds.  For the first time in my life I wished I weighed more,  I thought my bike would be blown out from under me.

After the descent we exited the Interstate and rode through a canyon.  It was breathtakingly beautiful. Then we got back onto I 80 for 24 miles to finish the day.  I'm getting used to riding on an Interstate, which is a good thing since tomorrow we will be on it for over 100 miles.  I'm hoping for a tailwind. Debris gathers in the rumble strips so there were many flats today.  I'm expecting more tomorrow.

Temperature today was 78.  Normal temps are close to 100, so the bicycle gods are with us on this stretch of the journey.  Spirits are still high and the camaraderie among the group is growing.  Surprisingly, there are few beer drinkers in the group, so I've hooked up with Hans from the Netherlands and Sim from Florida to enjoy a nice beer before dinner.  It's hard for me to imagine riding 100 miles and not having a good brew to celebrate the accomplishment.

This trip is so much more than I had imagined.  It is the perfect transition from a career that I loved to  a new phase of exploration and growth.  It is impactful to see the country by bicycle and think about the connections of the early settlers who followed this trail to find gold or a new life, the interstate highway system and how it brought the country together, global warming that has resulted from carbon dioxide emissions, and the recent tragedies in Kalamazoo and Orlando.  We are all connected to the past, each other, and the future.  You have a lot of time to think when you ride 75 miles on a bicycle.






6 comments:

  1. Those are major rumble strips! BLAH! The countryside is beautiful. Thank you for posting photos, too. Such an awesome adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea and I were in Elko a few years ago to visit her cousin who lives in Tuscarora. It is spectacular county! I'm in awe of your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, wow, WOW!!!!!! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day of rumble strips and reflection. So I guess the rumble strips serve their purpose; preventing falling asleep on the road. I'm amazed at how you are riding into the extreme fitness required to thrive on this ride. Wonderful journey!

    ReplyDelete
  6. " It is the perfect transition from a career that I loved to a new phase of exploration and growth." What a way to make this transition! I am loving following your expedition and in awe of your strength, tenacity and sheer courage.

    ReplyDelete