Saturday, June 11, 2016

Day 7: Miriah

Lovelock  to Winnemucca, NV
Miles: 72  Climb:  1,520

Away out here they've got a name
For rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess
The fire is Joe
And they call the wind Miriah

The day started with breakfast at the CowPoke Cafe in Lovelock.  Then we continued riding through the valley toward Winnemucca, 72 miles to the east.  Miriah was with us today, in our faces the entire way.  We had strong headwind (15+ mph) from the east from the time we left Lovelock until we pulled into Winnemucca, which this afternoon is the most beautiful place in the US.  We averaged just over 12 mph for the entire distance.  Yesterday we went 20 miles further in an hour less time.

Riding into a headwind is a lot like climbing.  You pick a comfortable gear, set a rhythm, and grind away.  And if it is like today, you grind for hours.  It was both mind and ass numbing.  Row, Row, Row Your Boat was of no help to me today, but the tune Miriah was stuck in my head.  Thanks goes to one of my riding mates,  John, for pulling our foursome all day and thanks to my other 6 ft 4 inch riding mate, Tony, whose wheel I locked onto the entire day.  After today Tony is my new BFF.  I offered several times to pull, but they said they didn't think there was much value in that.  I didn't take many pictures today, although the scenery here is gorgeous.  I just put my head down and rode.

The weather forecast is for more east wind tomorrow, but maybe not as strong.  We are fortunate to have moderate temperatures, in the low 80's.  It would not be unusual for it to be near 100.

One rider was struck by the a car as he left the hotel this morning.  He was taken to the hospital.  His injuries were not life threatening.





5 comments:

  1. Hope you have an easier day tomorrow. I rode 26 miles with a headwind today and it was a challenge. Glad you have the big boys willing to pull. You are an inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Struck by a car?
    I look forward reading your posts everyday....
    You're a rockstar!
    Please be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess what the wind gives it also takes back. Great riding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!! What a fun challenge. Hang in there looking great.

    ReplyDelete