Sunday, June 5, 2016

Day 1: A Great Start

San Francisco to Vallejo
Miles:  71   Climb: 3,300

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best because you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.  E Hemingway

I did a lot of sweating today learning the contours of San Francisco.  The climbs were amazing.  For my Power Cycling friends I think we did Bean Blossom and Firehouse times 5. We rode across the Golden Gate Bridge, through Sausalito, and made our way north and east to Vallejo. Beautiful weather. I rode with John and Liz, a young couple from England.  They have done a lot of touring across Europe and are excellent cyclists. We kept a good pace. Tomorrow we ride to Sacramento.  Weather forecast is good,  I am tired and happy. 

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on a fantastic first day and have a great trip to Sacramento!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura
    Thanks for blogging about your adventure. I look forward to following your progress. It sounds like you got off to a great start, and what a scenic route it was. Stay strong - Patty Giorgio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool photo! Be sure to keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3300 Vertical. Nice. Whenever I'm in SF, I try to bike over the GG. Of course, I usually just take a ferry back from Sausalito rather than continue biking across the entire country. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see biking in Europe in your future...

    ReplyDelete