Thursday, June 23, 2016

Day 19: Crossing the Rockies at 7mph

Gunnison to Salida, CO
Miles:  64  Climb:  4080
Total Miles:  1,340

Today was incredible.  It will be hard to top the events of today.

We are now riding on U.S. Route 50, which is much more enjoyable than riding the Interstate.  The first 30 miles we rode were the best ride of the trip yet, and will be hard to beat.  For 30 miles we rode along the base of a mountain range through a beautiful, green valley dotted with nice ranches and grazing cattle. Mountains on the left, a stream and pastures on the right.  No wind.  Sixty-eight degrees.  Sunny.  Smooth road surface and little traffic. It was idyllic.

The first SAG stop was at mile 31 at the Tomichi Creek Trading Post, a small general store in the middle of pretty much nowhere.  Then we immediately started a nine mile climb to Monarch Pass.  The grade was consistently at 6.5 - 7 %.  It was a long hard climb on Route 50 that curved back and forth up the mountain to the pass.  The mountains were beautiful and rugged.  The weather was perfect and the scent of the pine trees was fresh. The ride was hard.  I tried to maintain 7 - 8 mph and to control my breathing, relying again on Row, Row, Row your boat to keep a steady cadence.  By the time I reached the top I was breathing hard and my legs were weak. The faster riders gathered at the top and cheered as each following rider reached the pass.  It was a marvelous and emotional experience.

At the pass, which is at 11,000 feet, there was a small gondola, built in the 1960s, that went up the mountain another 1,000 feet.  A group of us took the gondola up to the top to take in the full view of the mountain ranges on each side of the continental divide.  Our summit achievement was rewarded by an 18 mile descent down the mountain into the town of Salida.  It was an incredible day.

It is hard to believe we are now over the Rocky Mountains and a third of the way through our trip.  We are in Salida, which is at 7,000 feet.  We ride 100 miles tomorrow to lower elevations and toward the plains, bringing different terrains, weather, and new challenges.  Thus far my body is holding up well and my bike is working well.  I hope my good fortune continues.





   

6 comments:

  1. Nice! I've kayaked around Salidia. It is beautiful country. TRANSFORMATION Laura! You are the road. Great riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I know my comment was a bit cryptic. One of the functions of this ride was to serve a transition between a life of work and what follows. It's clear to me, riding with you before and reading your blog that that is exactly what is occurring. It is nice to see you transformed on you blog pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ride, ride, ride your bike,
    Steadily up the hill.
    Cheerily, cheerily, cheerily, cheerily,
    This trip is a thrill!

    Laura:
    Vanquisher of mountains
    Defier of wind.
    Champion through and through

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura -- your posts and journey have been so inspirational that I just went and bought a nice, tame hybrid bike - my first bike in decades! Hope there are no mountains or head winds in Hudson Mills Metro Park :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We visited Rocky Mountain National Park a few years ago and I remember seeing groups of bikers on these amazing mountain summits. I told my husband I wanted him to drive me to the top and let me ride down. Glad to hear you had such a great day! You have surely earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the photo's are SOOO beautiful....the ride of a lifetime, for sure.

    ReplyDelete