Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 11: A Tough Ride

Wendover, NV to Salt Lake City, UT
Miles: 119  Climb:  1450
Total Miles:  854

Today was the hardest ride I have done on a bike.  Ever.

We ate breakfast at 4:45 a.m. and started riding at 6:15.  This was our earliest start yet.  The support staff knew that the combination of wind and miles would make today a long, hard day, so they scheduled an early start.  After 7 miles we entered I 80 and rode it for the next 100 miles.   We again had several flats, which slowed our progress and increased our frustration.

The first 40 miles we rode through the salt flats.  The ride was surreal.  We were surrounded by mountains, salt flats extended on both sides of the road, and the road ahead was straight and endless.  We had a very strong head wind for 40 miles and rode 9 - 10 mph. I actually begged for semi trucks to stay in the right lane because they broke the wind and even created some pull as they passed us.   Between miles 50 - 60 we had two climbs, and then got socked by the strongest cross winds I've ever experienced.   I rode for miles on the drops to hold the bike on the road.  It was brutal.  The wind gusts were up to 45 miles per hour.  I've never biked in wind like that before. It was tiring, frightening, and frustrating.  Today's ride was a test of both mental and physical strength.



I don't recall ever being as exhausted as I was when I finished the ride today.  But the good  news is that we are now in Utah, we are done riding I 80, and tomorrow is a rest day.  I will do laundry, clean my bike, and maybe do a little sight seeing.

The man who had the serious accident yesterday is in the hospital in Reno and will have surgery on his shoulder tomorrow.  And the man who was struck by the a car in Lovelock is back with us and has been riding in the SAG van.  He had bike parts shipped to Salt Lake City and will be rejoining the ride from here.




11 comments:

  1. Some blog posts make me jealous. Some make we glad I'm watching from afar. Today's post was definitely the latter. Congrats on toughing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have moved from amazing to super amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crosswinds are brutal. I assume that you no longer refer to the wind simply as Mariah, substituting a more appropriate, emotionally-laden, descriptive appellation. Stay safe-stay strong-and enjoy your well-deserved rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura. It sounded brutal. The good news is that, "it" is in the past tense. So question for you, how many times during yesterdays ride did you ask yourself, "what the hell am I doing here?" And than, "what was your reply?" Your mental toughness and mental fitness is equal to your physical toughness and physical fitness. Enjoy your rest day, you have earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such strength! I refuse to ride in 12-13 mile winds:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to all previous comments...I am in awe of you! Enjoy your rest day and thanks for continuing to post. You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. True test of endurance, ride on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on making it to Utah and to the first rest day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Know that stretch and it's tough even without the wind. Well done! We were out in the mountains to the south and the wind was so bad we couldn't stand steady to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laura,
    Thank you for posting about your ride. I look forward to reading about it daily and am in awe of you! Wishing you good tail winds for the rest of the ride.
    Jennifer Sparrow

    ReplyDelete