Saturday, July 23, 2016

Day 49: Aloha New York

Little Falls to Latham, NY
Miles:  76.5  Climb:  2181

We had a nearly perfect day today.  We rode on Route 5 for the first 50 miles.  This section of 5 is designated as a scenic roadway, and justly so.  The scenery was beautiful.  Mountains on the left, the Mohawk River on the right, and village after village on the route.  The weather was warm and sunny. At mile 52 we got onto a bike path and rode it for over 21 miles to just a few miles from the hotel.  There was very little climbing and the road and bike trail surfaces were good.  To top it off, we had a tailwind.  It was the type of day I fantasized about when I registered for this ride.

I got a nice surprise when I got to the hotel this afternoon.  The desk clerk handed me a cooler of Hawaiian beer and chocolates when I checked in.  My friend, Bill Wrobleski, who now lives in Hawaii, had a cooler of iced Hawaiian beer delivered to the hotel for my ABB friends and me.  It was a trans continental toast to our effort.  The luggage van was late arriving to the hotel, so the beer and chocolates made for the perfect happy hour while we waited.  Thanks to Bill's son Billy for making the delivery.  I was the most popular rider this afternoon when we reached the hotel.

We have just three days of riding left.  I am so looking forward to being done.  I am tired, my legs are tired and my knees ache.  I'm ready for a break.  But at the same time I'm ready to be done, I also don't want this to end.  Riding everyday for hours has become almost a form of meditation.  I don't really think of anything specific.

This evening at the map meeting the ABB staff urged us to carefully check our bikes, rims and tires before setting out tomorrow.  We have two days of big climbing ahead, two of the biggest climbing  days of the trip.  There are many steep descents.  It would be really bad to have a flat or blow out on one of those downhills.

Forecast for tomorrow is for sunny, warm weather.  Hope our string of good weather continues until we finish.




\



6 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been there with you! ABB needs to add Hawaii to the route next time! Of course, there is a tropical storm hitting the islands tonight, so riding would be tough today, but 50 MPH head winds is nothing for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGoodness how thoughtful of Bill. This place misses both of you.

      Delete
    2. OMGoodness how thoughtful of Bill. This place misses both of you.

      Delete
  2. There is nothing better than a cold one after a day on the bike. Hurray to Bill for executing on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to you, your friend Bill and his son. Soak in these last two days. Have a great ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The very best experiences can always be described like this: "But at the same time I'm ready to be done, I also don't want this to end. " Keep enjoying each and every minute!

    ReplyDelete