Friday, July 15, 2016

Day 41: Happy Birthday

Marysville to Wooster, OH
Miles:  103  Climb:  Climb:  4,245
Total Miles:  3,241

Happy Birthday to Hans and to me.  Hans, a rider from the Netherlands, and I both have birthdays today.  The first SAG stop, at 33 miles was a birthday celebration for both of us, organized by the my friend Liz.  Hans is 66 today and I am 63.  Hans crushes the hills.  He is an amazing rider.  I try to keep up with him, but I can't. So 60 is the new 40.  Okay, maybe 50.  But judging from the folks I'm hanging with on this trip, sixty isn't what it used to be.

The birthday ride today was phenomenal.  Our birthday gift was a tailwind from the southwest as we headed northeast.  We couldn't have asked for more.  The temperature was perfect, the road conditions were good, and the pace was fast.  It felt good.  We rode 103 miles today, and at mile 63 the big hills started.  These were Bloomington size hills, big hills, some at 15% grade.  I decided to go for it, after all it was my birthday, so I attacked the hills, out of the saddle much of the time.  It was fun.  I know I will pay for it tomorrow, but our days are running out so I figure it is okay to let a little caution go.

The Ohio countryside is beautiful.  The farms are meticulous and the fields are lush.  I've thought many times about the media referring to the Midwest as the Rust Belt.  They clearly have not visited this area of Ohio.

I've been thinking about the diet changes I will need to make when I return to Saline.  The amount of calories we consume is unbelievable, but what is even more amazing is how much junk we eat.  I had totally given up sugar before this trip.  Now sugar powers me through 100 mile days.  There is sugar at breakfast, sugar in the replenishment drink I carry on the bike, sugar in the Bonk Breakers I eat while riding, sugar in the Cliff Bars, sugar at the rest stops in the cookies, Rice Krispie Treats, colas, and fig newtons.  Sugar withdrawal is going to be a real challenge when I get home.

The other thing that will be hard is not exercising for six hours a day.  I am thoroughly enjoying starting out after breakfast at 6:30 and riding until 2 - 3 in the afternoon.  I know it is unrealistic to keep this up forever, but what is next?  I'm thinking about how to adjust my workouts and I'm also thinking about the next adventure to pursue.  This ride has opened my mind to  many possibilities, but I don't know how to decide.  I thought I would do a lot of  thinking about my future while riding, but I've found that staying focused on the ride consumes me mentally on the bike.  I really haven't done any planning or philosophizing, and the end of the ride is rapidly approaching.  If I could just keep riding across the Atlantic, I would.

Tomorrow we ride just 85 miles to get to Niles, OH, but it is another day of 3000+ feet. The forecast is for pleasant temperature, no rain, but possibly wind from the northwest.




10 comments:

  1. I know a little bit of what you mean. This Winter, I spent December, January and February in Florida. I rode almost every day. That's what I did. Of course I did other things, but I rode my bike and loved it. That's what I did. Zona, had to figure out what her life in Florida would be: volunteering at a bird sanctuary, yoga a few times a week on the beach, pottery classes. It was nice. I on the other hand was VERY content just riding my bike. And I loved it Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have philosophized about your future and found it in your present: "I'm also thinking about the next adventure to pursue" Godspeed, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Laura! You need to take those long trips you thought you couldn't because of work. Start with New Zealand and Australia :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking you could always turn around at Portsmouth and ride back to Michigan if you still feel like riding...you are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Laura, oh the joys of endorphins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Laura, oh the joys of endorphins!

    ReplyDelete