Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Day 45: New York

Eric, PA to Hamburg, New York
Miles:  87   Climb:  2,172

Today we rode Route 5 along Lake Erie from Erie, Pennsylvania to Hamburg, New York. Pennsylvania is in the books and we are now making our way across New York! Vineyards covered the landscape on each side of the road. Most of the grapes in the region we were in are Concord grapes used in grape jelly, grape juice and Concord grape wine.  The vineyards are much larger than the vineyards in California and the vines are bigger and more dense.  Lake Erie was a beautiful aqua color today and sail boats dotted the water.  The vineyards against the backdrop of the lake was gorgeous in the morning sun. The temperatures were in the seventies.  Cool for this time of year and perfect for riding.  It was one of the most pleasant and beautiful days we have had.  I rode alone today and really enjoyed the time to myself.  I took many photos and stopped for an iced coffee along the route.  It was a wonderful day that I will recall with a smile.

Already emotions are mounting as we near the end of the trip.  Some riders look really tired and are counting the miles to the end.  Others are buoyant and and almost excessively cheerful.  I am in between.  I am looking forward to achieving the goal and to getting back to Michigan.  But I wish there were more days of solitude, new sights, and continued physical challenge.  The need to figure out what is next is starting to nag at me.  I don't want that to overshadow the last days of the ride and this amazing experience.

We have four more riding days in New York, one in Vermont and two in New Hampshire, and some of the biggest climbing days of the trip.  The forecast for tomorrow is for sunny skies and temperatures in the low 80's.  Good riding conditions for 95 miles of rolling hills.





Top: Laura Patterson aka Ironmom. Bottom: Tyler Patterson completing an Ironman
Photo created by editor: Hannah Seibert


5 comments:

  1. Part of the experience is in fact not giving into the old patterns. The internal challenge is to stay present and let happen what will happen. My guess, the old pattern was to figure it out before hand. Actually, you don't have to worry too much about that, the hills and climbing will take care of this worry. Ride the ride, which I know you will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, I found that I rode a lot by myself in New York just like you are saying to enjoy - so fun to see you and wish you the best on these last couple of days!! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  3. The states are so small east of the Mississippi...you can cover many more of them over a few days than the behemoths of the west. Sounds like your biggest challenge of this trip may be unfolding in the final stages - be here now - not there or anywhere else. Stay one with your bike and experience the road you are on at the moment - future roads will emerge without the need of creating a map right now. Keep pedaling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find myself already missing starting my day reading your adventures. Enjoy the final days. You will be riding through beautiful countrysides.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, don't waste the last couple of days fretting over what you will do - it will come to you in time - just wait for it!!!! And, it may surprise you!!! LOL Carole

    ReplyDelete