Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 29: Welcome to Missouri

Topeka, KS to St. Joseph, MO
Miles:  90  Climb:  3,612
Total Miles:  2,138

We left the hotel with the threat of rain all day and hills upon hills ahead of us.  I rode with three of the fast guys, Hans, Jan, and Tony.  They had decided to take an easy day.  The day before when I had ridden alone they had raced each other at 24+ mph, (which is far beyond my capabilities).  Their "recovery" day set a good, steady pace for me and they are fun to ride with.  I enjoy their company, especially Jan who has great spirit.  Today he was singing "Good Day Sunshine" as we rode.

At mile 60 we crossed the state line. Good bye, Kansas. At mile 70 the hills increased in number and grade. Hello, Missouri. This is beautiful country. Rolling, lush, and rural. The corn fields looked like art work, sweeping over the hills and curving around the natural contours of  the terrain. As we came into St. Joseph we rode on the Southwest Parkway, a seven mile drive through a park.  It was a nice way to end the ride.  The rain held off all day and the overcast skies kept the temperatures in the low 70's, very low for Missouri in July.

My cassette is partially shot. Three of the cogs won't hold the gear, so I've lost six gears. Unfortunately, some of them are my favorite for hills.  I rode most of the day climbing in the big chain ring, because early on the hills were gradual enough that I could use leg strength in a bigger gear rather than riding in the lower gear I would have preferred to use.  My motto is "use the gears, save the legs", but since the gears weren't there, the legs had to do the work.  When we got into Missouri the hills were too steep for the big chain ring, so I had to ride in the very lowest gear (it still works), spinning up the hills at a very slow speed.  I am exhausted physically from too much big gear work and mentally from too much spinning.

Yesterday I ordered a new cassette online and had it shipped to our next hotel (couldn't get it delivered to St. Joseph because of the Fourth of July).  When I got to my room tonight I had a message that the company I ordered from will not ship to a hotel.  I am exhausted and frustrated.  I almost cried but I have promised myself there will be no crying until I dip my front tire into the Atlantic Ocean in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.  We are an hour from Kansas City, so tomorrow I'm going to call all the bike shops there to see if they are open on the Fourth and if they have my size cassette in stock.  If so, I will rent a car and drive to KC on my rest day to get a new cassette and chain that the ABB mechanic will install.  If not, I will order another cassette online from someone who will ship to a hotel, and the ride through the rest of rolling Missouri will be a long, hard strength builder for my mind and my quadriceps.






9 comments:

  1. It took me 30 years and several schools to get my BA. In that time you were, and continue to be my most inspirational teacher. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank heavens you are SOOO very strong mentally and physically when you have the bikes issues that you are currently experiencing. I'm praying you find your cassette today!!! Hang in there!! So much for your much needed rest day :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you describe the scenery of each place you see. I have a journal dad kept at Purdue (I think it was for a class), and he would describe the fields in almost the same way as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so tough and determined. There's no crying in cross country bike adventures (a tear or two would be okay). “The triumph can’t be had without the struggle.” – Wilma Rudolph

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had some company yesterday, Laura, and thankful that you are mentally and physically tough enough to meet this current challenge head on. Hope you found your cassette today. We are cheering you on from Michigan! Stay strong and pedal on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheering for you through it all. In deep admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhhh Laura, so very sorry you are having this issue at this point in the crossing - I sure hope you are able to get the new part very soon - tell them what you are doing and they might be more helpful. Good luck!! Carole

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoping that you got that new cassette and you'll be able to roll tomorrow without mechanical difficulties.
    Hard to believe that the support staff couldn't come up with a temporary fix until you are able to get all straightened out with a new cassette. I'm not just talking about fixing your bike with your equipment. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.
    Any event, good luck tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laura, hopefully you've got a line on getting your new cassette. Hang in there and when it gets tough just think: "this beats being in endless meetings where everyone agrees to meet again." :_) paul r.

    ReplyDelete