Saturday, August 11, 2018

Day 8: The big one

Noirt to Bordeaux Miles 121 Feet 4491

We started early today, given the route was long. Only 4 riders set out. Jed and I agreed to stay together today. After a few miles to get out of the city, the rest of the day was on country roads and two lane highways. As we headed south, the terrain changed. It was less hilly and the farms were bigger. We rode through some areas where the sunflower fields stretched for miles on both sides. Because the route was long, we rarely stopped. Jed and I took turns pulling. We follow the path the Garmin gives us, and we aren’t even aware of where we are going. The Garmin displays a map that highlights the route, and gives an alert when we need to turn. We simply ride along, waiting for the next command. We we are at the end it displays, “End of route”and we look up to see the hotel we are in for the night. With the Garmin for navigation and Google translate on my phone for communication, I think I could comfortably travel just about anywhere. As I rode today I reflected on family. My family. Especially my mother and father. I wish they were here to follow this. They had an adventurous spirit and I know they would have enjoyed following my trip. I am so grateful to them for the values they instilled in me. Several times today as I rode through the rural countryside I thought “This could be Bengal, Indiana”, except that it is in France and these are sunflowers and vineyards, not corn and soybeans. But all the same, riding through that fertile, productive area where people make a living from the land made me miss them. We are in Bordeaux, but we aren’t going to see the city. After riding 121 miles, everyone is tired, ready for dinner and then, bed. Tomorrow we continue the journey south. Tomorrow is a short day, just 55 miles. The forecast is for another sunny day.



1 comment:

  1. This one made me smile. I think about grandpa and grandma a lot with my own adventures. They would be such a great support and would really enjoy seeing what all of our incredible family has accomplished.
    - Kaleb

    ReplyDelete