Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Day 18: Is this Nevada?

Plasencia to Caceres // Miles: 52 Ascent 3017 Feet

After breakfast at the hotel, we set out for Caceres. It was an easy ride out of town, and then we were on a nice two lane highway with wide shoulder for the entire 52 miles. If yesterday was Kansas, today was Nevada. Dry desert grass, grazing cattle, short scrubby trees, and rugged mountains in the background surrounded me of both sides of the road we were on. The brown cattle blended into the grass, and only the tinkle of their cowbells distinguished them from the bales of straw that were scattered in the fields. From time to time, little lizards scurried across the road. The scenery was expansive and desolate. We started out together, but James, our fastest rider, had a flat early on, and then a second. We split apart, and I rode most of the day alone at a slow pace, conserving my energy. It was only 52 miles, but I knew the route involved climbing up and over mountain ridges the entire way. Most of the day was a slow climb, with a couple long steep hills that made it interesting. We skirted the edge of a huge reservoir, and when I stopped for photos I longed to jump in.

We are now in southern Spain and it is hot. I was tired the entire ride. Typically, when I arrive at the hotel and get checked in, I have a routine of putting all my electronic devices (headlamp, taillight, Garmin) on the charger to get ready for the next day. Then I take off my very sweaty bike clothes and shoes. I immediately wash my kit out in the sink and hang it out the window to dry. I wipe down my bike, stretch, and then hop into the shower. Not today. Today when I got to the room I took off my bike shoes and kit, fell across the bed, and slept for over an hour. My body and mind needed to recover. This is an amazing adventure. Experiencing Spain has been great fun. The food has been wonderful. I’ve been having cured meats and cheese for breakfast and tapas or paella for dinner. And bread. Lots of bread. The scenery is breathtaking. The road conditions have been smooth, and seeing the non tourist spots of this country has been priceless. The Spanish people have been gracious, and for the most part, the drivers are friendly to cyclists. I am glad we had a short day today. Tomorrow also is a short day, 50 miles and not as much climbing as we’ve been doing. Tomorrow we continue south to reach Badajoz, then Thursday we will angle southwest into Portugal. We plan to leave early to avoid the heat. The forecast if for 98 degrees and lots of sunshine.





1 comment: