Sunday, August 26, 2018

Day 22: The Finish

Santiago do Caceres to Praia da Luz // Miles 82 Ascent: 5100 Feet

With hugs and well wishes from our hotel proprietor, we set off on our last day. It was downhill from the hotel to our route, then it was up and down over the next 82 miles. I was very emotional because I had learned during the night that Jackie, my daughter-in-law, had gone into labor. It was a month early. I hadn’t slept. I was worried about her, worried about the baby, and upset that I would miss our granddaughter’s arrival. My only option was to focus on finishing the ride and trust that everything was going to be fine. We rode most of the day together, spreading apart on the climbs but joining back together at the SAG stops. We had every type of climb imaginable today, long, gradual ones that stretched for miles snaking back and forth up the mountain, short, steep ones, the steepest being 20% grade that required getting out of the saddle the entire way, and one that had some of both, long stretches of gradual climbing with a short descent followed by a long and steep climb. The hard work helped me maintain my focus on good technique, the crazy Portuguese drivers required that I pay close attention to traffic, and the rough roads made me stay alert to pot holes, especially on the descents. I can understand now why Europe produces such good road cyclists. Riding this terrain in this environment definitely makes you stronger. We had a nice tailwind and got to Praia da Luz earlier than we expected. James led us through the cobblestoned streets to the center of the village where his family and friends were waiting. They cheered us in when we arrived. It was an emotional finish. I was physically and mentally tired and I was relieved to have made it safely across the 1,600 miles. I needed to get some news about Jackie, Drew and the yet-to-arrive baby. And, frankly, I needed some time alone to pull myself together.

Praia da Luz is a stunningly beautiful resort town on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. James owns a condominium, and he had reserved some condos in his complex for the rest of us. After hugs, fist bumps and photos, I got on my bike and rode up more hills to get to the condo, carried in my bike and gear, got on the WiFi and headed straight for the shower, knowing that was one place I could be alone for a while. Before leaving for dinner I got the wonderful news that Margaret McCain Patterson had arrived and mother and baby were both fine. That evening we celebrated both an ending and a beginning, the accomplishment a challenging three week bicycle trip across Europe and the birth of a healthy granddaughter. It is a day I will never forget.









6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter and the completion of a memorable bicycle trip. Thank you also for sharing the trip. I enjoyed reading about your adventures. I enjoy Europe a great deal making your adventure especially meaningful to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing person! Congratulations on your successful trip and new grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spectacular ride and great conclusion. Congratulations and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Laura! So proud of you and happy for your entire family on the arrival of Margaret. Thanks for sharing your adventure and accomplishment with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations all the way around!! Another fantastic trip! Enjoyed reading about it and hearing the good news of grand baby Margaret!! Salud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing trip. Congrats on your new granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete