Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Breaking Away in Europe

July 27, 2018

Two years ago I fulfilled a life long goal of riding my bike across the US. It was an experience I will cherish forever. In part because I achieved a dream, but also because on that 52 day trek, I made life long friends from across the globe who share my love for cycling. One, a man from England named James, got in touch with me last winter to ask if I would like to join him and a small group riding from northern England to the southern tip of Portugal. Without a moment’s hesitation or a single question, I accepted the invitation.  I am sitting now in a 17th century bed and breakfast in Sheffield, England, preparing for our departure in two days.

I arrived in England four days ago to spend time with good friends from the cross America trip, John and Liz, who are not joining us on this trip to Portugal. John and Liz live in Little Sutton near Liverpool. I truly enjoyed seeing them, getting a glimpse into their British life, and talking late into the night about books, movies, politics, and, of course, cycling. It was fun watching the end of the Tour de France with them. Our friendship was built on cycling, so we rode together while I was there. They took me on the routes they ride around their home. We rode through the beautiful, rural English countryside and into Wales. We cycled past two castle, countless sheep and dairy farms, and through several charming villages. There were small cafes in every village we passed through, and each day we rode we stopped at a cafe for tea and cake midway through our ride. The British are so civilized.  Riding on the left side of the road was a bizarre experience, so I always followed John’s lead.  The round abouts were dizzying with multiple lanes and stop lights to enter and exit, and we paused before entering each one so that John could coach me through it!

Today I took the train to Sheffield to meet the other riders in nearby Dronfield. We will meet up tomorrow, complete our plans and prepare our bikes. I shipped my bike from the US, but the others are bringing theirs as luggage on the plane with them. Friday we will take a bike ride around Dronfield to give everyone an opportunity to experience riding on the left side of the road, and Saturday our journey will begin! Our route will take us 1600 miles across England, France, Spain, and Portugal. The distance is less than half of what we covered two years ago crossing the US, but I am anticipating this trip with equal excitement and, I must admit, more than a little anxiety.





7 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, so anxious to read your blog and hear from everyone over there! I'm sure u will have a blast! Keep the rubber side down!
    Carole Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. So here you go again. I so enjoyed being taken on your last trip and I look forward to this new adventure with anticipation. Thanks for the blog, it really does create an intimate experience. Be safe and "keep those cards and letters" coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to follow you on this adventure! We fell in love with Spain & Portugal last year, but not from a bike so I can't wait to hear from your POV! Be safe and glad you are following your heart! kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great adventure Aunt Laura! Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! Good luck. Have fun. And thanks for taking us along on the ... ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura!! This is fantastic, you are an inspiration! Enjoy and safe travels.

    ReplyDelete